From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 07:13:42 -0500
From: "Charles Barnard" :Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2000 4:10 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Geforce256 on 440LX motherboard

> Good day
>
> I tried to install a Geforce256 (3DProphet by Guillemot) on a Gigabyte
> GA-686LX4 motherboard. This board uses the intel 440LX chipset.
>
> About 2-3 minutes after switching on the PC, the PC freezes. If I reboot
> directly after that, the PC hangs during the memory check. The initial
> freeze occurs whether I am in windows (safe mode or normal), dos or even
> inside the bios settings.
>
> All chips feel reasonably cool, but I suppose the core could be
> overheating.
>
> Could it be a power issue?
>
> I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
>
> Thank you
> Charles

Charles,

The Guillemot GeForce card does not work on the Gigabyte 686LX3 because the
AGP 2.0 specs require one power supply of 6amps at 3.3 volts for the AGP
port and one power supply of 2amps at 5.0 volts for the AGP memory.
Unfortunately this motherboard and an Asus LX motherboard fail to deliver
more than 5amps (and 2amps) causing random crashes.  The Gigabyte 686LX3 and
LX4 appear to be almost the same board with the LX4 having one more Dimm
slot.  I would suspect that power is probably your issue.  If you have
another video card can you check to see that everything works with a
different video card?  Unfortunately the GeForce is very power hungry and
some users have had to raise their I/O voltage in the BIOS (when the BIOS is
capable of doing this) to get the GeForce to work.

Hope this helps.

Mary Wolden

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org