From:
Pinelands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:01:22 +0200
Hi

I have a few questions about a LAN that I use and I would like to learn a bit
more about how LANs work and what restrictions you can impose on the users.

1) Is it possible to limit the size of the data that one user can send to
another user on the same network. So for instance to prevent users from sending
each other large games over the network ?

2) Is it a major operation to format the network drives...so as to clear all the
unused files and perhaps illegal programs that may be on the networks drives ?
Has anyone done this on a big network successfully ?

3) Is there a way to prevent the use of IP based programs (like Netbus or BO)
from being used on the network ?

4) Why do networks need both Novell Netware and Windows 95/98 to be run ? What
is Netware ? Wouldn't it be better to have NT running the Win95/98 machines
instead of a third party's program ?

5) Is an intranet better suited to a network that comprises mostly of high end
machines or is it perhaps a good solution to a network that still has 486's on
it ? What are the advantages to using and intranet instead of a normal network
setup ?

TIA
Cheers
Kevin Hains