From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 00:48:04 -0800
On 14 Dec 98 at 10:01, Dave Perry wrote:

> It looks as if I may get the opportunity to build a Pentium II soon
> and as they require an ATX board and ATX Case ...

  While this is *generally* true, there are several PII motherboard
options in AT form factor.  I wouldn't use them in a new machine,
only to upgrade an existing one, but they're worth knowing about.

> I was wondering whether anyone has any tips or tricks in using
> these cases. Are construction techniques radically different to AT
> building.

  The biggest difference is that serial/parallel/mouse/USB/sound
ports may all be built in on the motherboard, and need to match
cutouts in the back of the case.  There are two common basic layouts,
with up to a dozen variations.  Most manufacturers of ATX cases offer
a variety of insert panels (Chenbro calls this a "gasket") to
accomodate these variations; a few need you to select a port layout
when you order the case.

> I've heard that you need to take of the front cover of an ATX case.
> Is this true. Is it difficult.

  Not as a general rule, no.  But on mini- and even mid-towers,
expect the board to extend under the power supply, and so you may
have to open the front or the motherboard side to insert or remove
it.
  This doesn't appear to be true of the case shown at
http://chenbro.com.tw/ATXDRAW.htm

> I intend using Chenbro Value cases if that makes any difference to
> anyone.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html