From:
Brighteyes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:27:31 -0800
Hello Marg,
Here is the fix for it. I found this at Microsoft.
Hope this fixes the problem.
Its also possible that AOL7 did this too. It does change over 200 windows files.
I would never put AOL on any of my machines. Not if I were desperate.
Take care.
Sue Dobbs

Error Message When You Open a New Folder (Q259096)

Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

IMPORTANT : This article contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the
registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs. For information about how
to do this, view the "Restoring the Registry" Help topic in Regedit.exe or the "Restoring a Registry
Key" Help topic in Regedt32.exe.

If this article does not describe the invalid page fault error message that you are receiving, view
the following Microsoft Web site to view more articles that describe invalid page fault error
messages in Internet Explorer:
Click here to view a list of invalid page fault articles
If this article does not describe the error message that you are receiving, view the following
Microsoft Web site to view more articles that describe error messages:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/topics/errormsg/emresctr.asp

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt do any of the following:

Open a new window in Microsoft Internet Explorer

-or-

Create a new folder on the desktop, or in Windows Explorer, and then attempt to open the folder.

You may receive the following error message:
EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module SHELL32.DLL at <memory address>
The following message may also be displayed:
Microsoft Internet Explorer There was an internal error and one of the windows you were using will
be closed. It is recommended that you save your work, close all of your programs, and then restart
the computer.

CAUSE
This behavior can be caused by an incorrect value in the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU

RESOLUTION
WARNING : Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to
reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the
incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in
Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry
Data" Help topics in Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If
you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

NOTE : If you use this resolution and delete these registry values, the Compaq Safety and Comfort
Guide software may no longer work correctly. Please contact Compaq to inquire about a possible
update to address this issue. To resolve this issue delete all the values in the following registry
keys:

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\StreamMRU
-and-
HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams

Well, I have a problem...I am trying (long distance, I might add) to help my (newbie) cousin with
his windows98SE problem...below is the error message he gets:
EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module SHDOC401.DLL at 017f:50023c61.

This occurs any time he tries to create a 'New' folder...anywhere...right click menu or in explorer
on the File menu, as soon as the mouse pointer hits 'new', the above error message is displayed.

I had him try SFC to scan for corrupt files...nothing, used the Iexplorer repair tool...nothing, I
have tried the newsgroups and searches on Google for others with this error, to no avail!

For your info, he is running Win98SE(clean install), AOL7(just upgraded from 6)

I would certainly appreciate any light you might be able to shed on this problem!

Thanks in advance,

Marg Belliveau

---