From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:26:59 -0800
Diane

I would be cautious and not provide a chance for a suspected virus on an
existing HD to relocate or copy itself to a new HD. There are probably a
few ways to accomplish the result you desire. I would not install a new
HD until I was sure there was no longer a virus on the existing HD. If
an anti virus program(s) did not or could not eliminate the virus, I
would copy my data files onto a removable media (and remove it) and than
reformat the existing HD before installing the new HD. Size, speed and
cache of each HD would determine which HD ended up as "C" and which as
"D". I would disconnect the computer from the internet. Then I would
install the OS on "C" drive, then install any software/drivers for
installed hardware including the motherboard and video card onto the "C"
drive, and then install any programs I wanted (which could primarily be
installed on either HD drive as I might desire). One of first installed
programs would be an anti virus program with all updates (need to
reconnect to the internet to get the updates).

Before moving the data files from the removable media back onto either
HD, I would run a virus scan on all the data files.

As mentioned, other members may use different procedures to accomplish
adding a new HD to a computer that has an existing HD with a suspected
virus. My main thrust would be to avoid any possibility of the virus
ending up on both Hard Drives. I would rather use overkill than be sorry.

Tom

Diane wrote:
> John,
>
> My current HD isn't working the way it should.  Probably had a virus that
> messed up some programs.
>
> I loaded XP on my new HD, so it is bootable.  I don't want to just make a
> clone of my current HD since it isn't working perfectly.  I'm just
> reinstalling programs on my new HD.  Then I will copy over the data.  I've
> done this before.  I use Maxtor to make a clone of my HD's.
>
> I think I might have downloaded the drivers for the video card and didn't
> make notes, not realizing I might have to do it again.
>
> This is the card I have in my computer: Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics
> Controller.
>
> Diane Kroeckel
>
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure I fully understand your description of the problem. I don't
>> think you can go about replacing an existing HD with a new HD by loading
>> programs on the new HD while using the existing HD as the primary drive
>> without a lot of pre-planning and tedious work. A lot of programs primarily
>> load into a folder under "Program Files" which can be directed to load on
>> the new drive, but select files are normally loaded in a sub folder in the
>> "Windows" folder which is normally located on the primary drive. So when you
>> finally switch the drives, program(s) will likely not be able to find some
>> necessary files. Also, the OS itself may not even function.
>>
>> With newer HD's there is normally provided a process for switching drives
>> without having to reload everything (it is automatic). Of course, if you
>> have already moved files off your existing HD, this process would likely not
>> produce satisfactory results. In essence I would have switched drives first
>> before doing anything with individual programs. You yourself only know what
>> you have done so far so it really is not possible to give you more
>> definitive information. To receive more definitive assistance, you should
>> give more history as to what you have done so far.
>>
>> To get the sound and video devices working again for now, I would try
>> reinstalling the software that came with them.
>>
>> I do not know how you can get Windows to load by switching the boot order
>> in the BIOS, since the new HD does not have the OS installed on it (or maybe
>> it does?).
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> Tom
>>

>> Diane wrote:
>>

>>> Listers,
>>>
>>> I am installing programs on a new HD that will eventually replace my
>>> current
>>> HD.  It is on the same computer.  My only problem is I have no sound on
>>> that
>>> HD.  When I go under Sounds and Devices everything is grayed out.  When I
>>> go
>>> under Device Manager and under Other Devices I have a couple yellow
>>> question
>>> marks.  Under Sound, etc. it should read Realtek AC/97 Audio, but it
>>> doesn't.
>>>
>>> I installed a new Video Card and and it's not picking it up.  The card was
>>> installed awhile ago and works fine on my main HD.  I uninstalled the two
>>> things with yellow question marks (I think they are video and audio), but
>>> when I reboot, they are found not working.
>>>
>>> How can I get my new HD to see my video card?
>>>
>>> I go into the bios and just switch the boot order of the two drives.
>>>
>>> WinXP Pro
>>>
>>> Diane Kroeckel

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml