From:
Derek Buchanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 2015 19:07:01 -0500
Peter,
    It depends on what type of malware you ended up with.  For example, my
cousin was running Firefox and got a really nasty search bar tool that kept
coming up.  It would throw up different webpages and redirect your searches
through their so-called search engine.   I tried cleaning it with
Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy.  No dice, this thing had
somehow bonded with the browser and kept reinstalling.
     The answer I had was to use Revo Uninstaller.  It executed the
uninstaller for Firefox and then it scanned and removed entries in the
registry, program files folder and the ProgramData folder that is native to
Windows 7.  I rebooted and then reinstalled Firefox and all was well.  My
guess is that something was hanging out in the ProgramData folder for
Firefox and I could not determine exactly what that was.

Derek Buchanan
On Dec 20, 2015 3:22 PM, "Peter Shkabara" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I apparently was not careful enough and ended up with my Chrome browser
> getting infected. The problem is that adds from go.goadvs.com pop up often
> when I access our church website. I did a Google search and found some
> suggestions on removing this malware. Unfortunately, a search of the
> registry, inspection of installed program, removal of all Chrome
> extensions,
> as well as running several malware removal programs (AdwCleaner, Junkware
> Removal Tool, Malwarebytes, HitmanPro, Zemana) did not seem to fix the
> problem.
>

> I have now uninstalled Chrome, clearing all history and cookies, rebooted
> and reinstalled Chrome. Since the problem was intermittent, I am still not
> sure if it has been fixed, but so far no ads.
>

> My question to the list is whether anyone has seen such behavior. In
> particular, why would this happen when visiting a specific website? Any
> inputs would be appreciated. Hope that none of you get this because it is
> very irritating.
>

> Peter Shkabara

>                           PCSOFT's List Owners:
>                       Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>