From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 17:30:18 +1000
Lew wrote:
>the Wizard is telling me that it found a
>new printer and wants to install it, my current and only printer is
>installed and working perfectly. >>

You say this is your only printer, but elsewhere you mention "the other
printers listed".

Does this mean you've previously had other printers, which have now been
physically removed without being uninstalled?  If so, then that's probably
the cause of your problem.

First check in Device Manager and see if there any warning marks.

I would definitely attempt to uninstall any printers no longer on the
system. This should be done before installing any new printer.  Printers
are notorious for leaving remnants behind, even after "uninstalling", which
may well give rise to error messages such as you are seeing. Often these
remnants will interfere with any new printer. Lexmark can be particularly
difficult to remove, though sometimes the others aren't much better. Have
you by any chance ever had a Lexmark printer connected to this system?  You
would have to follow their instructions for removal.

The drivers should be uninstalled via Device Manager, then you need to
search through the registry and manually remove any references to obsolete
printers.  It's often these leftover registry entries that trigger an error
message or a Wizard that's seeing ghosts.

Unfortunately, the software side of printers leaves much to be desired.

Sometimes you need to reinstall an old printer before you can properly
uninstall it.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com