From:
Gordon Totty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:20:26 -0500
I share an internet connection with four computers.  Two are on Ethernet cable to a Linksys router and the other two access via a Belkin 54g Wireless Access Point (WAP).  Three computers are using XP, the fourth uses Win2K.  All was well until suddenly the two wireless computers get no signal from the WAP.  These machines pick up signals from two neighbors, but my WAP has disappeared from their "radar."

Lengthy chats with Belkin and Linksys have failed to provide a solution, and the tech reps at those companies are politely in disagreement.  Belkin says a neighbor's setup is blocking my access; Linksys says that since my network is secure this is not possible.  Linksys, by the way, was generously helping, as the problem appears related to the Belkin WAP.

Since two computers share the same symptom, it seems to me that the problem is with the WAP, not the computers.  Rebooting the WAP has no effect.  Changing the range with the laptop has no effect.  The WAPs three signal lights are showing normal operation.  Since my computer with wireless cards can't access the WAP, I can't get into its utilities, setup, etc.

I would appreciate any general suggestions as to how to approach this or hearing from anyone who had or understands this problem.

Internet searches have thus far failed to yield data on my problem.

Gordon Totty

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com