From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 07:44:58 -0700
On 14 Aug 2007 at 8:04, Tina M. Myers wrote:

> I need some pointers here.  I have never worked with cable internet.
> I have the cable company coming in a couple weeks and want to make
> sure I get everything I need.
>
> I have 2 computers networked together and want to know the best way to go.
>
> 1.  Hook up the main computer and run the other one through the main one.
> 2.  Hook each one up separately.
>
> From what the guy at the cable co said I know I need a modem (or one
> for each comp).  Do I need a router?
>
> Also what kind of software protection do I need.  Is it still the same
> as if I have dialup?  The second comp is windows me and I have zone
> alarm as a firewall but they no longer support me.

  The cable internet connection is (almost certainly) going to provide
connectivity for ONE device.  So #2 isn't really an option.  Your coices are
going to be #1 OR using a router.

  The primary argument for using a router is that either computer may reach
the Internet at any time -- you don't have to turn the main computer on to
use the other one.
  Also, many home routers now include firewall protection that is, in may
respects, practically as good as Zone Alarm.

David Gillett

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com