From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:54:48 -0700
On 22 Apr 99, at 0:36, Magnus Johansson wrote:

> I have a ASUS P55T2P4 motherbord with an Intel 166 MMX, and 32 MB of RAM.
> The bios is updated to tha latest rev.

  My work Win98 machine has one of these.  It's *the* classic Socket 7 board.

> Recently I decided to put in more RAM, and installed 128 MB more. But it
> seems impossible (in Sweden) to get a TAG RAM, and the manual sais (as I
> can see it) that I will not need the TAG RAM if I do not want to cache
> more than 64 MB RAM. But I do not understan if I had to move the jumper
> from 64 MB to 528 MB. I have the jumper as default (64 MB), but the system
> will crach now and then. And I donīt know if this jumper has anything to
> do with it. The system I am currently running is Win95 B.

  If you install more than 64MB of RAM, you won't get the full benefit of
caching without a "tag RAM" chip (mine cost $2.95, so this is a good
investment).  The jumper tells the system that there is a tag RAM chip
installed; obviously, you shouldn't change it unless you have the chip....

> Tonight I tried to install Linux at my computer, and during the
> installation the computer started to reboot, before the installation was
> complete.

  You've added some memory, and now find that the system sometimes crashes
and rebooted when it shouldn't.  Sounds like maybe that new RAM isn't quite
"up to snuff".  Can you return it?

David G