From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 11:18:08 -0800
On 15 Sep 98 at 12:32, Ben Moore wrote:

> I posted earlier about a hard drive problem and one of my concerns
> was the temps inside my case.  They normally run 48 degrees C, 118
> F but can go up 6 or 7 more degrees if I'm really pushing the video
> card.  I have a power supply fan and a CPU fan.  I'm thinking about
> adding another fan.  The problem is where?  I have a generic mid
> tower ATX case.  It has a air intake grill, I assume, on the front
> of the case.  Behind that inside is a plastic housing that looks
> like a fan housing but of course there is no fan.  Is this where I
> could add a fan?  Should it blow in or out?  Thanks.

  Yes, that would be a good place.  Since the standard ATX power
supply fan blows in, this one should blow out.  [If you decide to
have it blow in, you should provide a filter....]

  You might also want to investigate a "Bay Cooler" -- it's a little
panel that sits in fron of a 5.25" drive bay, with two fans and a
filter in it.  Some drive models get very hot.

  If you can find a 486 CPU fan, you may be able to attach it to the
main chip on your video card.  Note that this will speed the transfer
of heat from the chip to the air inside the case.  This is already
happening to some extent, of course -- but if the air is going up 6-7
degrees, how high is that chip going?  Adding the case fan will speed
the transfer of heat from inside the case to outside.

David G

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**