From:
Joe Trimarchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:23:53 -0500
I have an IBM Thinkpad with Win2000. I rarely shut it off. Today when I went
to use it, it had been idle for about 24 hours, it was locked up and the
only way to shut it off was to hold down the start button. When I try to
reboot it seems to be in an endless loop. It shows the splash screen for
quite some time then briefly displays a rather long error message, then
tries to reboot again. The error message is only on the screen momentarily
so it is impossible to read it all. I think the gist of it is that the
Registry cannot be found or is corrupt. I've tried booting into Safe Mode
and also to the last known good configuration but neither has helped. This
is a major inconvenience as I work from home and this is my work machine. I
also have a HP personal desk top with Win XP. Is it possible to make a boot
floppy from WinXP, use it to boot the laptop and then repair the registry?
If so how do I go about making the boot floppy and then once I boot the
laptop, I assume it would be to a DOS prompt, how to I repair the registry?
I know this is asking a lot but any help is appreciated.

If I have to get my employer's IT involved they always take the path of
least resistance and will simple reimage my machine. It will then take me
weeks to get passwords reset and everything back to the way I use it. I will
also lose some files as I haven't backed things up in a few weeks.

Thanks,

Joe Trimarchi