From:
bob warasila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 16:41:53 -0400
My son is running an HP system ~5 years old on W98.  Recently he had a
crashed that brought the system down.  He was able to recover from that
event with the recovery disk, but then while a friend was trying to
update his MacAfee AV for him the system locked up.  While trouble
shooting that problem we found the power switch needed to be rewired
which we did.  The recovery disk we were using was the original and was
giving us some problems.   Since it was kind of scratched up so we
burned a copy and that seems to have been OK.   At that point the
system was reinstalled.  We can see the devices and drivers in the
system manager BUT we are unable to get the cable modem to "talk" to
the system.   We were able to do this after the first recovery.  The
cable people said the modem is fine on their side and their diagnostic
says it's not communicating with the computer.  How do we trouble shoot
this?   Where do we start?

Bob Warasila