From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 18:35:58 -0800
On 6 Oct 99, at 22:24, Star Damian wrote:

> I have a 56K LU PCI modem (D/F/V) which is not running at anything
> close to 56K. Gone to Control Panel, Modem, Diagnostic, click on com
> port that the modem auto assigned with and click MORE INFO button.
> It opens and says "Communicating with Modem this may take a While",
> then instantly I get a window that states "PORT ALREADY OPEN". It
> can't set modem.

  This function is intended for use when you are not connected, and
will query the modem for various *static* configuration info.  It
won't show connection speed.
  *DO* make sure (also while off-line) that the COM port is
configured for 115,200 bps.

> I have Net Monitor that informs me as to what speed my modem is
> connect and true speed and transfer speed. Its states that it
> running 26.40 Kb.

  In the most perfect world, a 56Kbps modem connects at 33.6Kbps from
you to the ISP; a special digital connection to the phone system
allows data coming the other way to travel at 56K (theoretically;
current legal limit is 53K).
  28.8K and 33.6K connections are composed of 12 or 14 sub-channels
of 2400 bps each.  With an imperfect phone connection, one or more
subchannels may be found to be unreliable, so a 33.6K (or 56K,
remember) moem may report actual connection speeds of 33.6K, 31.2K,
28.8K, 26.4K, 24.0K, and so on.

  Hang on -- 26.4K.  That's what *your* modem is reporting.  Out of
14 subchannels it is designed to use, it's only getting reliable
signal connections on 11.  This looks like the phone connection
between you and the ISP is not very good -- that's probably why
you're not seeing anything like 56K!

  Unless your ISP is actually incompetent (hey, it happens), problems
with the phone connection may originate within your premises, or
within the phone system.  Review everything that is plugged into this
phone line and any extensions; maybe some device is causing noise or
interference.  You may try asking the phone company to check the
line, but I believe it is performing well enough that they are not
legally *obligated* to improve it.  [Nonetheless, I've heard of
people who complained, and although the phone company reported "no
problem found", their service got better within a week or two....]

David Gillett

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html