From:
"Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:35:54 -0500
You did not give a budget.  A power gaming computer will cost about $4000
(US).

Your question about memory tells me that you need to do a lot more research
before your first purchase. You should get about 2 Gigabytes of memory!

There is an Intel CPU for about $350 (at a place like NewEgg) that Tom's
Hardware Guide recommends as a high-value cpu.  You probably do not need a
quad-core cpu, but a good dual-core cpu is probably a necessity.  The more
you spend, the faster a cpu you get but at a declining rate of return.

There are several video cards that are high-end cards.  They usually have
about 512 megabytes of memory on them and cost between three and five
hundred dollars.  Or more.  There are budget choices. Make sure that the
motherboard you choose is compatible with the video card (i.e. pci express
or agp).  Most of the high-end video cards are now pci express, which
requires a compatible motherboard and power supply.

I have found that WD Raptor drives make loading graphics much more
tolerable.

My recommendation is to get a copy of PC Gamer magazine, which has a
hardware section in the back which  recommends different systems based on
the amount of money that you can spend.  It changes every month as new
equipment comes out.

Also, go to

http://www.extremetech.com/
http://www.tomshardware.com/us/
http://www.anandtech.com/

for their recommendations.

I hope that this gets  you started.  For me, half the fun of building a new
computer is doing the research and deciding what I want to get.  Shopping.
:)

Dean Kukral

PS: Don't forget to budget for an operating system.  (XP or Vista).  You can
get an OEM version for much less money, but if, like me, you intend to make
a lot of changes, then the full version might be better.  For example, you
might upgrade your cpu, motherboard, and memory, but use other stuff from
your current computer.  Then add on new things as your finances allow.