From:
Robert Turnbull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 14:39:49 -0400
At 12:27 AM 12/07/01 -0500, you wrote:
I appreciate your ideas on using legacy compies (486s), though few folks
would take the time the way you do. But, remember, the original problem
concerned an AT/286, which really limits its usefulness.

Your thoughts on using such computers to teach computer use/skills, etc,
is gratifying. If we could get something started like that on a large
scale, maybe having a central non-profit recyclers accept (or charge for,
to help the cashflow) older compies and software, and distribute them at
nominal cost to schools, old folks homes (not "retirement villages"),
instead of fillilng up the landfills, we could see some use ffom them.

In Ontario, Canada, we have an organization called Computers for Schools (a
government-funded non-profit organization) which solicits obsolete
computers from businesses, refurbishes them, and donates them to schools. I
believe that we passed the 250,000 mark recently.

I expect that comparable organizations exist in many North American
jurisdictions. Sears also has a program relating to computer trade-ins and
they are a source of supply for us. I have worked for CfS as a volunteer
for several months and am very impressed with the organization.

We have yet to do something for seniors. I expect that there are many
lonely older people who would thrive on email and mailing list subscriptions.

Regards

Robert Turnbull, Toronto, Canada