From:
Dan Shaughnessy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 21:34:53 -0600
The Diamond Viper 330 will meet the requirements of a "3D accelerator".
Basically it means the card has 3D rendering ability.  The Viper was the
top of the line 2d/3D card until very recently, when a new generation of
chipsets came out, such as the TNT, Matrox G200 and Banshee.  The Viper
has a reputation as a fast card with fairly poor visual quality in 3D,
but I have one in my 2nd machine and think it looks ok.

Some cards such as an S3 Virge, were technically 3D capable, but the
reality was they were so slow, they were virtually unusable as a 3D
accelerator.

Dan Shaughnessy

>         My 14 year old son has eyeballed a football software program that I
> would like to get him for Christmas.  My problem is, on the front of
> the package it says (I believe), 3D Accelerator required.  I could
> be a little off on the wording, but hopefully somebody will be able
> to identify what they are talking about because I certainly don't.
>         I ~do~ know that I have an Diamond Viper 330 AGP card with a PII
> 350 on an Abit BX6 board and I as far as video goes, I thought I was
> pretty well set.  Maybe not?  Am I going to be better off with this
> "3D Accelerator"?  What should I be looking for? I need some
> "educatin'" here, please!!

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com