Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:58:10 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, April 15, 1999 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Two PC's to one Monitor

On 14 Apr 99, at 17:56, Brian.santos wrote:

>  Yes, you need a data switch. .....etc

  There are three basic problems with this advice:  ...etc.....
..
2.  A couple of the lines in a VGA connection carry information about
the monitor to the VGA card.  If you boot a PC while the monitor is
switched away, the video card may initialize to a mode that the monitor
can't support......

3.  I have not seen a "data switch" with 15-pin VGA connectors
(probably for reason 1 above........
David G
                              **************************************
-----Have seen a number of mixed recommendations on this.  Some from
satisfied users of a "data type switch"  and several that electronic switch
is only good way to go.

Jameco Electronics Components & Computer Produts has a $14.95 2 way switch
box "for two computers requiring one keybd and one monitor - diodes maintain
keybd in powered state."  It has a top row of three DA15HD connectors (High
Density 15 pin as used by VGA monitors, and bottom row of 3 5-pin DIN's for
the keybd.

   Am tempted to try it as one of my monitors recently crapped out and I
only occasionally need to look at some stored data on this older system.  If
I simply switch before booting would that work OK?--This does leave one
system without monitor at boot up but both systems are configured for a
color monitor.
Other consideration is transferring data by the Direct Cable Method which I
also occasionally find useful.--Guess I'd be somewhat "working in the dark"
able to view only one system at a time.
  Seems like I could get a refurb 15" monitor replacement for about price of
electronic switch.  Decisions, decisions--any further comment anybody??
Bob Decker

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html