From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 08:39:38 -0700
I have a password revealer installed that will show what the ****
represent. My home computers use automatic password remembrance for non
critical sites. If I ever need to find out what the password is that I
have assigned to any of those sites, I can use the password revealer
when the **** comes up. Other than that, I do not have a use for it, but
it is available if needed.

Tom Mayer

Don Penlington wrote:
> David wrote:
>> i found  thie following resource( though it sounds a bit nefarious)
>> on simtel.net.  It is called "Password Spyer 2k 2.0">>
>

> I had a look at that.  It refers to finding the passwords behind a set
> of ****.
>
> In most cases you are simply faced with a blank in which you must type
> in the password. Would these programs be any use in such cases?  I
> don't think one would want to purchase a program with such limited
> use.  I think its only purpose is to reveal passwords already "typed"
> (though not visible) in the dialogue window so that you can save them
> for future use.  But it doesn't seem to me, without having used the
> program, that it is going to help the reader who has lost his password
> and is presumably faced with a blank dialogue box.
>
> Is my assumption correct?  As there are a number of the "password
> revealers" around, it would be interesting to know, as I assume they
> all work on the same principal.  There may be some which will search
> your system for stored passwords, but I assume you'd first have to get
> into Windows in order to run them.  Possibly this could be done via
> BartPE emergency disk.
>
> Don Penlington

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads