From:
Andre Cotnoir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 18:04:15 -0500
Hi all
I have a small problem I hope someone out there will be able to help me
with.  I have an old 486 DX2 66 that I wanted to connect in a peer to peer
home network.  It has 2 floppy drives (A-3 1/2 1.44 Meg and B-5 1/4 1.2
Meg).  After I installed an ISA D-Link NIC, the computer booted up and went
through the POST, checked drive A and stalled on drive B.  The light on the
B drive remained lit and but the computer does not continue.  I thought
something was loose so I made sure everything was well seated and rebooted
again.  This time I had a CMOS error telling me I had no floppies.  I re-did
the CMOS and now am back to my original problem.  I have since changed the A
drive, same problem, I changed the I/O card, same problem, and I changed the
ribbon but still no improvement.  I then disconnected the B drive but now
the computer hangs on the A drive with the light remaining on and the
computer just hanging there.  When I reconnected the B drive, the POST went
through the A drive without any problem and hung on the B drive again.  I've
changed the slot position of the I/O card but to no avail.  Any ideas out
there what I might do to solve the problem (short of shooting it)?
TIA
Andy

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html