From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 23:48:15 -0700
John:
the highend soundcards truly are worth the cost to an audiophile
I have the soundblaster Gold that is the same card as the soundblaster
platinum.
Soundblaster also sells the "livedrive"  that fits in a 5 1/4 bay in the
front of the computer.
on the digital inputs, most newer devices like minidisc and Cdroms use an
optical input.
You can't use optical devices on S/PDIF input/output without and expensive
adapter.
for which you need an additional bracket for approx. $35
See this link for info and brackets:
http://www.hoontech.com/english/products/Brackets/product6_9.html
I got the SB DB III bracket cause in has optical in and out.
Soundblaster also sells the "livedrive"  that fits in a 5 1/4 bay in the
front of the computer,
but it's a little on the pricey side. I beleive the livedrive 2 has optical
in and out.
I use it to record to my minidisc from MP3 files/CD on the computer and vs
versa.
This is a good resource for all things Soundblaster:
http://alive.singnet.com.sg/