From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 20:38:21 -0400
At 12:14 5/15/99 , Susan Hays wrote:
 >Can anyone tell me what kind of battery back-up system that I need that
 >has software included that will automatically shut your system down in
 >the event of a surge or the electricity going off?

Hi Susan

You might check out the APC Back-UPS Pro models <http://www.apcc.com/>
or the OPTI-UPS PowerES models <http://www.opti-ups.com/homeindex.htm>
of Uninterruptible Power Systems.

Try to avoid the mistake that I made four years ago when I bought the
Back-UPS Pro 280 and found that it was not big enough for my needs. So
I bought the Back-UPS 420 and again found that I needed more.

The APC Back-UPS Pro 650 or the OPTI-UPS PowerES 650 would be great
for a Pentium II system and monitor. You should get at least 5 minutes
of run time on battery. Both the APC and the OPTI-UPS models include
software to shutdown your system in the event of a power failure and
a serial cable to connect the UPS and the computer. (Note that APC also
makes "Back-UPS" models...note the lack of PRO in the name...which may
not include software or a serial cable.) These devices also protect
your system from overvoltage, surges, sags, and any other damaging
power conditions.

"NECX Direct" sells both the OPTI-UPS POWERES 650 and the APC Back-UPS
650 for almost exactly the same price ($229 plus $20 shipping).
http://necxdirect.necx.com:8002/cgi-bin/auth/:guest/simple_q?cifilelnk=0001452

Regards,
Bill

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]