From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:47:48 -0500
It's hard to diagnose a notebook modem because the normal procedure is to
remove and replace, which would require another, 2nd Acer notebook to verify
the part is bad.  However, the general cause is a fried modem.  The 'phone'
or analog, side of the modem is much more susceptible to electrical damage
than the data bus, or digital, side of the modem.  Therefore, the notebook
can still communicate with the modem and reports it healthy, but the outside
world can't connect through the analog side of the modem, and after an
appropriate attempt, the modem reports this to windows, and you see the 'no
dial tone' message.  Have the notebook serviced.  If you want to try
yourself, you can order an Acer modem.  This may or may not fix it,
depending on whether the rj-11 jack is on the part itself, or is separately
mounted on the case.  The jack and any wires leading from it may also be
damaged.

If it is an older notebook, I have suggested in the past that the user get a
cardbus or pcmcia modem cards and stick it in one of the available external
slots.  The price is about the same and you don't have to open the
notebook's case or use any tools.
Tom Turak