From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:46:35 -0400
Jack and I have been swapping the freeware registry back-up
"programs", (and looking at them), and I have to admit I never
had a Registry problem on a system I was actually using.
I doubt if he did either.  (I have only used these on Win9x systems.)
I assume we both always had back-ups.

Thanks Jack, I forgot to put in the blurb that all "stuff" in that directory
would be lost... That was a "given"...  And, If a Registry is really
fried it is too late to use Windows to run around and look for stuff
to start saving to a back-up media...

Which brings up the question...
When you install "over the top", that keeps major portions of
the old registry so it would seem problematic at best to handle
problems that way when the registry is already "blown out".

Would a simple over the top install correct this exact type of error?
My other answer, getting rid of the Windows directory might have
been "jumping the gun", trying to limit what had been said before me...

I was more focused in NOT formating in the first part of that answer
than the eventual optional ways of going about an easier fix.
Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.
I try to fix problems as many ways as possible before asking on the list.
(Note: The original questions and problems were NOT mine...)
My only question is:
Would a simple over the top install correct this exact type of error?
                            Rick Glazier

From: "Jack R Payton" <[log in to unmask]>
> However, if you've gone past that option, first try installing Win98
> *over the top* of your current OS, without reformatting. If that doesn't
> work, you may still have to reformat and reinstall the OS - along with
> all your other programs. Don't forget to save all your .ini & .sys,
> files, along with all your data files (if you haven't been keeping/saving
> them to a separate HDD partition).

> On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:38:33 -0400 Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
> writes:
> > There are other options for recovering from a problem like this.
> > It is not necessary to format.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>