From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:36:25 -0400
Concerning homemade ethenet crossover cables, I like
to take a regular rj45 coupler (single unit with two female
rj45 jacks back to back), and modify it to be a crossover.

You just pop it open, and swap the wires around.  It's
conveniently small for packing in your bag of tricks,
and much tidier than the crossover cables that I've
made by hand.  I'm almost surprised I've never seen
one for sale...

As for 100-BaseT vs. 10-BaseT, I asked the same question
recently (might have been this list, but I think it was a
different one), and was assured that the crossover
connections are the same.  Thus, a (cat5 quality)
crossover cable can be used interchangeably in both
10- and 100-BaseT set ups.

Sorry, but I don't have the pin-outs in front of me.  They
should be pretty easy to find on the net.  If you have
trouble, post again, and I should be able to dig them
up for you.

Good luck.

Ignatius Nayan D'Rozario <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Also I am in the process of trying to crimp a CAT5 cross-cable to
> connect to the 'server-machine' and the Win2k professional on
> the other end. Both the NICs are 10/100 BaseT... One is a
> 3COM NIC the Other has a Realtek Chipset. Now what I am
> slightly confused on is, wether the connections are the same
> for both 10BaseT and 100BaseT when it comes to
> CrossCables ? Wher could I find resources on this on the
> Net or alternatively could anyone tel me what the wiring is like.

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html