From:
William Hornkohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 23:32:12 -0600
I picked up a new barebones system and transferred some of the old parts
from my Micron 133 to the new Celeron 300A. I'm running Win98. I booted the
old system in safe-mode and removed everything from Device-Manager before
shutting down. When I booted up the new system I learned I should have
hooked up the CD-ROM drive because the system was trying to install all the
hardware but couldn't because there was no way to get to the CD. I wanted to
keep the system as simple as possible and then add parts one at a time. I
finally got the CD-ROM hooked up and got rid of all the problems. I did buy
a new sound blaster live value sound card, because I was out of ISA slots. I
first put it into PCI slot #5 but the system would boot about half way (no
splash screen) and then start booting again. I remember seeing where it was
recommended to try another slot so I did. I moved the card into slot #2 and
it seems to work OK. Is this a common thing and why does the slot make a
difference?

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>