From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 22:19:16 -0500
From: Jim Gemeinhardt
Subject: [PCBUILD] PII system will not boot.

> I have recently put together the following system:
> All components are brand new.
>

> ASUS P2B 400bx chip set motherboard running at 100mhz
> CPU PII 350mhz
> 128mb SDRAM 8chip non ECC
> Diamond V550 16mb AGP video card
> Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller
> ATX case (ANTEC I think)
>
> I can't get the system to boot..
>
> When I power the system, the CPU fan that is powered by the motherboard
runs
> o.k. and I have indicator lights on the panel, but no video.  I can also
> shutdown the system by holding the power switch for 4 sec.
>

> My normal procedure is to install the video, ram, CPU and fan and attempt
> simply boot the system. This isn't successful.
>
> I know there are certain settings with ATX cases that can prevent a normal
> boot from occurring   I am wondering if I have missed a motherboard
setting.

> The SDRAM that I am using is 8 chip 10ns non ECC.  I am not sure if this
is
> presenting a problem.
>
> If the CPU fan is being powered, does this indicate that the board and ram
> are still good?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I checked the manual for the Asus P2B motherboard and page 17 gives general
notes on dimms.  It states to use only PC100-compliant dimms. "This
motherboard  operates at 100MHz, thus most systems will not even boot if
non-compliant modules  are used  because of the strict timing issues
involved under this speed."  It does not matter whether the sdram is ecc or
not but if you are running at 100MHz bus then you should use PC100-compliant
sdram.  You did not state whether the ram you had was PC100 or not, but if
it isn't that might be your problem.

Mary Wolden

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html