From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 00:32:18 +0200
Hello Mark,

Sunday, October 10, 1999, 9:26:09 PM, you wrote:

MR>  >Another reason why you would want to do that is the IDE
MR>  >channels only operate as fast as the slowest device on that
MR>  >channel. By having the old slower HD with the fast new HD you
MR>  >limit the speed to the old HD's, and negate any faster speed on the
MR>  >new one.
MR>  >Dale Laluk / [log in to unmask]

MR> This had validity a very long time ago when IDE devices and their on board
MR> controllers were new technology. However this has not been true for many
MR> many years. Modern IDE controllers ...since Win95 and earlier....have no
MR> problem making distinctions between IDE mode types. and with a modern
MR> controller you can mix any IDE devices on a channel without regard for mode
MR> type or age of the device.

It might be true, but I have an antique 96 Mb ALPA drive (ide) that
would be recognized if and only if it is a single drive on its
channel. No amount of jumper switching would solve the problem - it
simply refuses to be master or slave, freezing my PC.
(by the way, my MB is Abit BX6/2... modern controller, I think.)

Probably this is a problem not with a controller, which is good, but
with old drive which Integrated Electronics couldn't imagine there could
be more than one drive on the channel.

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]