From:
Thomas Harold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 23:12:11 -0400
David Lang wrote:
> Hello everyone.Is there someone who can help me ? I have recently
> started to make audio recordings using the PC( I need to make good
> quality voice recordings to send  as wav or mp3 files) . I am very
> disappointed in the results and in alarming addition, it seems every
> time i move the machine at all ot touch it near the expansion slots(
> as in plugging a mike in and out),I get a "feedback- 60 cycle hum"
> which I know cannot be normal. Also not every mic I try( in a search
> for a better quality sound) will work. I built the machine (which may
> be the problem-though I have built many which have worked fine). The
> board is an MSI K7T Turbo ver.3. I have checked the construction and
> everything looks  OK but perhaps I am missing  something. Can anyone
> tell me anything to help like what voltage readings should  be at
> what points or how likely are the sound circuits to be bad or  how
> can I check these. Also does anyone know  good software to produce
> excellent quality voice recordings and perhaps even enhance them? The
> media  recorder  on Windows  just sounds  so inadequate. Thank you
> all...and  Oh P.S. I have asked "professionals" at Radio Shack  and
> Intrex  Computers(local techies  in NC where I am) and no one  can
> tell me what impedance a mic  should be  to work on a PC. Does it
> make a difference. I have a good mic I used years ago that i remember
> had a dual impedance (but you had to make soldering changes);it
> worked well then  with analog amps and decks but will not work on the
> PC. Could this be an impedance issue?

Generally, if you're getting a 60Hz hum it can mean one of a few things:

- poorly shielded audio circuitry (which means you need to buy a better
sound card such as the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or the more expensive
Creative Labs cards)

- ground loop (and I don't recall exactly how to diagnose that)

- audio wires that are running too close to AC wires

- poorly constructed AC devices such as surge protectors (that's a bit
of a stretch, keeping the audio cables away from the AC power cords
usually suffices)

For software, try Audacity (I haven't used it, but hear that it's fairly
good).

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com