From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 12:23:33 -0600
Pat:

the sound from Cd audio is handled differently by your computer
than the "wave" sounds from windows, or other formats from the
internet.
There is a separate audio cable typically with 3-4 wires running from
the back of the cdrom to a input on the sound card or on the
motherboard itself.

I would first check the audio mixer and see if the cd audio slider is
muted our turned down,
 you can check you microphone settings here too under recording
properties.
then check the audio cable; it may be unplugged, plugged in backwards,
or missing.
Most cdroms have a headphone jack,  you can see if it's really
producing audio.

 On the slowness problem, it's hard to tell from a distance.........
too many variables.
If the problem is software related, a backup - reformat, and clean
install of windows
may be the ultimate solution, but is painful for most of us.