From:
"Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:44:38 -0600
PC Gamer magazine has a tech section.  This month's magazine shows a
description of how to build a fast, but reasonably priced computer.
Most months, however, give the ingredients for  a dream system, a
midrange, and a budget system.  If  you look at their recommended parts,
it can give  you an idea of where to start.

Meanwhile, you have to think of why you need a new computer.  What will
a new one do that your current computer will not do.  That will help you
decide how deep to go.  Generally, gamers and others who need high
computing power need a top dollar computer.  Those who just use their
computer for email can get by with a very old or very inexpensive
computer.   Decide where you fit - how do you want to use your new
computer.

Naturally, you can use your old monitor, keyboard, mouse, even hard
drives.  If your case is generic, then you can use it, too.  I bought a
very nice case and power supply ten years ago and am still using the
case.

Whether or not you can use anything else depends on whether it is
generic or proprietary.

What is cheapest depends not on the path but on how expensive the
components are that you purchase.

If you go the pre-assembled system, make sure that it is generic.

The cheapest way might be to buy a new system from Dell, Gateway, HP,
etc.  Remember, these are made in the cheapest way using proprietary
parts and will in all likelihood not be upgradeable.

You can find reviews of parts at Tom's Hardware Guide, ExtremeTech, and
Anandtec.

Some parts such as monitor, case and power supply, keyboard, printer,
mouse, etc.  can last through many upgrades of motherboard, cpu, and
memory.

HTH

Dean Kukral