From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:26:26 -0800
On 26 Feb 99, at 12:00, Edna wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with the BX chipset baby AT MBs from
> Soyo and ASUS?  I am considering them for upgrading my Gateway full
> Tower 486 system.  I would like to use the Celeron 300A OC'd and am
> concerned about heat and blockage of slots.

  In general, I'd expect an Asus product to be of a bit better quality
than a Soyo.  Baby AT BX boards *could* be an exception, of course, but
only if Asus is taking extraordinary steps to fill the backlogs of its
popular BH6 and BX6 boards.

  I think you're right to be concerned about blockages.  The Baby AT BX
board that I have is from Gigabyte [I'm curious about how Soyo got onto
your list, and Gigabyte didn't...], and I found that the DIMM slots,
when
populated, conflict with some internal 3.5" hard drive bays.

  Slot 1 CPUs do generate more heat than you're probably used to.
Retail CPUs will come with a fan/heatsink attached, and there are
several brand of such accessoried to connect to OEM CPUs.  The power
supply fan and a case fan seem to be able to carry off most of the heat
once this rig has got it away from the chip proper.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html