Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 00:25:20 -0700
I picked up a discounted CD-ROM from a popular surplus outlet on the
Net.  The unit is a Cyber Drive 24X speed CD-ROM, made in Taiwan.  It
was advertised as being DOS, W3.1/W95/W98 compatible.

When it arrived, there were a few items in the box besides the drive
including a disk and a very, very basic pamphlet (in 6 languages) about
the mechanical and DOS installation.  But for Win95 installation, it
said to refer to the Windows installation instructions.

Well, the only drives that I found on the Win 95 (OSR2) cd was for:
Mitsumi:  New double speed
Mitsumi:  New Single speed
Mitsumi:  Old Single speed

Panasonic  (only one driver listed)

Sony       (only one driver listed - for special Sony CD-ROMs.

I used the Mitsumi "New Double speed" and it seems to work.  Also tried
the Mitsumi "New Single speed" and it appeared to be the same.

Only concern is that under Control Panel/System/ I get a yellow
exclamation for the CD-ROM and it says that not all of the dll's are
loaded for the drive.  The disk that came with the drive was only for
DOS.

My questions:

1.  Is it okay to run it with that exclamation all of the time?

2.  Is there a better driver available?  Where could I find one?
(Couldn't find Cyber Drive on the net.)

3.  In CMOS Setup, the system said it was PIO Mode #2.  But via the DOS
settings, it can be set up as much as #4 successfully.  Should I attempt
to force it to a #4 in CMOS?  (System is not used for games - will be
limited to loading or maybe running some audio cd's while on the
'puter).

TYIA
--
Jean Bourvic :>))
It is always easier to critique than it is to learn!

                                  -----