From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:01:17 -0700
On 7 Aug 2003, at 16:52, Rob Cilia wrote:

> Hello PCBUILD Listers, just a question concerning ethernet switches,
> I have a 3com baseline 10/100 24 port ethernet switch which experienced
> total failure the other day.  You can imagine the problems it caused in
> my office considering we didn't have a backup (I ended up daisychaining
> several small linksys workgroup hubs, the 5 & 8 port variety to get
> everyone connected to our LAN again).  When we purchased this 24port
> switch, it was @$1900 cdn before taxes in 1999, they've sinced dropped
> down considerably in price and I was able to pick up 2 of these 3com 24
> port switches (similar model to this existing one except these switches
> are auto MDI/MDIX ) for @$300+ each before taxes.  I know that these
> switches run 24/7, 365 days a year and the original 24port switch lasted
> 3+ years.  Does anyone know the average lifespan for these units and if
> they can be fixed?  I'm really tempted to open up this switch but I don't
> know what I would be looking for specifically to determine where the
> failure occurred.  It powers up and I noticed a flashing power/self test
> led that flashes green several times then changes to an amber color and
> shows no other activity than this when connected to a network.  Any info
> you may have or any expertise you wish to share on this topic would be
> greatly appreciated.  TIA, rob,wpg

  We figure data-center class switches should last 5-7 years, and we keep
them under maintenance contract so we can RMA them if they don't.  I'm not
sure if this particular model qualifies, or if it's something closer to
consumer grade.  (In which case 24/7 might be a lot to ask.)

  I haven't used many 3com switches, but I've generally been underwhelmed by
them.  I prefer the Cisco Catalyst 2924.  My home network is built around a
Cisco 1924 (only 2 100Mbps ports and the rest are 10) that has been running
pretty much continuously for 5 years.

David Gillett