From:
Matthew Wulfman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 11:41:57 -0700
When I think about your problem, I don't think I or anyone else who doesn't own
your model can tell you exactly what your settings should be... especially
seeing as your system has a non default config, particularly with the addition
of a zip drive.  Depending on the age of your system, your CDROM drive might be
running off of your sound card.  Depending on the age and BIOS of your board it
will ship either with a bunch of values set to the standard values, "default"
or left on "auto".   When you replaced that battery, you automatically got
reset to default values. But, try the simplest and least painful things first.

In the course of replacing the battery, you may have knocked a cable slightly
loose even though it apears to be plugged in.  Check that all cables are
plugged in.  If you unplugged one of the cables... particularly power and IDE
data.  Check them, particularly the orientation of the IDE data cable on all
three of its connectors.

Next, I would see if you have onboard ide channel 2 enabled in BIOS. I would
also not edown what the pio/udma mode setings are for that channel.  (Rarely,
you have to set the pio mode manually rather than trusting auto settings.)
However, if your second ide channel has been enabled all this time... life is
going to get interesting

The good news is that we can predict likely suspects to check.  If you've had
to proceed this far than it's likely something has knocked off the irq for your
second IDE channel.  Certain types of devices tend to go for certain
resources.  If for example,  you have an internal modem, it would be in
conflict with onboard com2 unless either automagically or manually, one of the
two was set to com3 or com4.  Com3/com4 take non standard interrupts,
frequently irq5.  If the com ports get there first... your sound card gets
bumped off 5 (which sound cards tend to go for autmatically) and now goes
looking for its own... bumping off something else.  Network cards, I guess
because they might get installed in a diskless work station, also contend for
non standard interrupts like 5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Thing is, if you
have USB support, that probably is taking 10.  If you have a ps/2 mouse, 12 is
gone.  If you have an two ide channels and a VGA card 13, 14 and 15 should
_never_ be used.  Particularly if you have all your cards in plug and play
mode, a reset CMOS or an operating sytem re-install may emulate 52 card pickup,
that is a lot of your resources get reshuffled.  If you have a sound card or
network card, it is  likely involved.  And I think the whole event may have
been triggered by an extra com port (probably the second physical one on board)
coming back to life as result of a default setting in CMOS.  This may seem a
little byzantine but I have seen this soooooooooo often.  The good news, is
that with a Micron system (quality!) you can reliably disable a serial port in
BIOS and trust that it is disabled.  However, it's a crap shoot with "quality
challenged" systems like Packard Bell, AST or many generic motherboards.

So, believe it or not:   If the IDE channel has been enabled all this time,
then I'd check for a com3 or com4 in Control Panel - System - Device Manager.
Check for other ! and ? in there while you are at it.  If you have com3/com4,
investigate whether it is being used by an onboard serial port or an internal
modem.  I would try to end up with the internal modem on com2 and the second
external com port disabled.  If I still had the problem after a power off,
power on.  Go into one of the more advanced BIOS submenus and look for options
like reset plug and play data or update ESCD.  Save options and reboot with
reset button or off/on.  If that doesn't fix it, I'd physically remove the
network and sound card (unless the CDROM is plugged into it), reboot and run
the add hardware wizard.

That was more than enough detail for now.  Let the list know how things go and
good luck!  If this doesn't fix things, include the age of the BIOS and both
make and model of any plug and play cards in your system.

Matthew