From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:52:45 -0500
> I am afraid this may start a long debate, but I would like some
> recommendations for a motherboard. The plan is to build a stable system
> using a 2GHz P4. It is mostly for business applications and some
> graphics, no games. Am considering the Intel D845PEBT2. Also looked into
> an ASUS P4S8X after reading some good reviews, but also found some very
> bad stability problems reported by some users. To make things worse, I
> am not opposed to using an AMD chip. Again, the primary goal is
> stability - intended OS is XP Pro and possibly Linux.
>
> Thank you for any comments from personal experience. I already know
> about review sites such as motherboards.org
> <http://www.motherboards.org> , tomshardware, anadtech, and
> extremetech.com among others.

        For Intel systems, if stability is your main concern, Intel is the best
choice. Their boards have almost always been the most stable of the bunch,
of course you pay for that stability by lack of "goodies" and a smaller
amount of money left in your wallet.

        ASUS boards have always been near #1 for both stability and "goodie"
factor, I can't remember the last ASUS board that was bad. Therefore if you
need something an Intel board doesn't offer I'd go ASUS. For AMD I'd also go
ASUS. TTYL

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml