From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:30:58 -0700
At 12:26 PM 10/30/98 , John Pfankuch wrote:
>Listmembers,
>
>Has anyone heard of an ISP's upgrading to V.90 causing customers
>running Windows for Workgroups to lose their ability to connect?
>
>My sister has a P75 with a USR 28.8 modem and is running Windows for
>Workgroups.  Recently her ISP connection started failing.  She called
>tech support and was told that they had recently upgraded their
>equipment to allow for V.90 connections.  According to tech support,
>this upgraded system  won't connect properly to a user running
>Windows 3.X and they suggest she upgrade to Windows 95.
>
>This is news to me, but before I completely discount this possibility
>I thought I would ask the experts.  Has anyone else heard this claim?

The advice your sister received from her ISP is wrong.   The operating
system has nothing to do with this issue.   They probably have nothing
in the tech support book about using Windows3.xx and unwilling to admit
they are without an answer, told her to upgrade, as they only have information
about connecting with Win95.

The problem is probably the manner in which the Dialer program in WIn3.xx
is attempting to setup the connection with the ISP.  Setting up the old
Winsock dialers could take a great deal of effort if the ISP does not have
a script available, (written specific for their system to communicate with
Name Server).   To do this manually, you will need a basic communications
program to dial in to the ISP.  Then you will need to determine the sequence
of commands needed to setup the interface.  Then you will need to modify
the dialer program to interface with their system.

Bob Wright  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD  -  PCSOFT
                          PC-PDA  -   I-GAMES