Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 21:17:50 -0700
Hi Neal
 This is almost certain to be a monitor problem.  It's called a horz.
foldover and is likely a yoke (the coil of wire around the neck of the pix
tube) problem.  Your "screen flicker" is your clue. The cost of repair will
be more than the price of a new monitor.

 mike michel  --- [log in to unmask]

On Thu, 31 May 2001 16:57:42 EDT, PCBUILD - Personal Computer Hardware
discussion List wrote:

>  Hi all,
>  A little while back, my screen flickered and when it refreshed itself, a
>  problem showed up. If I have a window open, ie solitaire, AOL, pretty
much
>  anything, that window is readable and everything, except that a ghost of
the
>  window or smear is present on each side of the window all the way to the
edge
>  of the screen. Device manager shows no problems in either the video card
or
>  the monitor. I haven't tried a new monitor or video card yet..because I
don't
>  have any extra's at the moment.
>  Anyone have any ideas what it might be??
>  The computer is an HP Pavilion 8562, running dual boot win 98 and win 2k
>  (problem exists in both environments). Monitor is Viewmate 17" and
graphics
>  card is Nvidia Vanta 8mb AGP.
>  Thanks for your time,
>
>  Neal Collins