From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 08:56:50 -0400
> Just got a new cable modem. I want to share files with a friend in
CALIFORNIA.
> I understand how to turn on the file and print sharing options, but can't
seem to locate
> what my IP address is to grant my comrade access to my computer. Where and
how
> do I find out my IP ADDRESS to relay to my friend, to share files back and
forth.

    What OS are you using? For win9x click on start, and run. Type winipcfg
and press enter. Select the network adapter you have attached the cable
modem too and it should give you your current IP address. In linux type
ifconfig at any console prompt, chances are your modem is attached to the
eth0 device, however if you have a small LAN it might be attached to eth1. I
don't use a MAC so I don't know how you would tell with it but I'm sure it
is very simple to find. Please note that IPs for these services are
generally dynamic, which means the number has the potential to change on
every reboot of the computer or power down of the modem. Some providers
change it more than others, I know that in my area cable modems are
officially dynamic but change so infrequently that the same address works
for month. OTOH my ADSL service used PPoE and therefore my IP changes on
every relogin. Hope this helped, TTYL

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html