From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:24:10 -0500
Sections of the hard drive's magnetic coating are failing.
This is usually a progressively degenerative problem that will continue to
haunt you.
If you can find another drive at a swap meet or flea market, it might be
worth the effort to replace it. (but remember that the interface card and
drive must match)

If not.....

You need to low-level format the drive -- unfortunately, there are too
many cobwebs in that section of my memory to give you accurate details.
There is a location within the BIOS that can be accessed via the DEBUG
program and there are several generic freeware/shareware programs that can
accomplish this.  I would check the manufacturer to see if they have a
program.

The low-level format will block out the bad sections.  Then you can FDISK,
FORMAT /S, and reinstall your software.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====