From:
Edna Sloan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 03:07:12 -0500
How can one tell what HD mode is being used in a system?  I just installed a
WD 13G ata66 HD on a Soyo 7ILM/B 810 chipset board that supports ata66,
using the 80 pin cable.  In the bios, I just left it on "auto" detect.  It
works fine, but I'm not sure what mode its operating in.  At boot up the
drive model# is shown along with other drives(CD), and later another full
screen comes up that shows a list of all drives, their type, and below this
all IRQs being used by the system - on this screen, it says the drive is
udma66(master on primary), and the CD drive is udma 33(on secondary
controller).  Does this indicate how the drives are configured, or is it
just Id'ing the types they are?  I really don't notice a difference in speed
as compared with the 2G udma 33 HD I replaced.   In the bios one can also
select LBA, or LARGE,  as well as the AUTO.

One other question: In Device Manager, I am getting a large yellow question
mark- Unknown Device, category and no drivers loaded for it.  I'm not sure
what this is or how to find out(?)  This system only has a pci modem
installed- video and sound being integrated.   Everything seems work OK
though.  Thanks, Edna Sloan

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html