From:
"Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:54:08 -0500
http://www.pcpower.com/support/ATX_troubleshoot.htm

has a very simple test to perform to see if the power supply is working.  If
it passes this test, the power supply may still be bad (I know from personal
experience), but if it fails the test, then you know the power supply is
bad, not necessarily the motherboard.  The test simulates the signal that
the motherboard sends to the power supply to start up, and it requires a
hard drive load to work.  ("hard drive load" means that the power supply
must be connected to at least one hard drive for the test to work.)

Unfortunately, the problems that you are experiencing are difficult to pin
down without swapping parts.  The issue is that the problem may be located
in the power supply, the hard drive, or the motherboard. I am not sure if
the green light lighting up is an indicator of a good power supply or not.
An ATX power supply needs a load on it (such as a hard drive) to start up,
but it may have a separate circuit that works to power the green light.  I,
myself, purchased a relatively cheap power supply ($30) from CompUSA the
last time I had this problem on my wife's computer.  Her computer passed the
test above, but did not start.  When I swapped out my power supply with
hers, it then started.  So, I used the cheap power supply until I could get
a new, good one from PC Power and Cooling.  Now I have a spare, and, should
the problem arise again, I can easily swap out the power supply.

I have had a relatively new power supply (a cheap one that came with the
case) fail on a new build for a friend after about six months, so I think
that  cheap power supplies ARE the weakest link.  Even my two power supplies
from PCP&C failed after about seven years.  (Antec makes a well respected
power supply for much less money, but, in my opinion and that of some of the
other moderators here, PCP&C is the premium brand.)

Another thing that you could check is the power button.  Just short out the
two connectors on the power switch, and,  if the computer starts, then you
know that it is the switch!   It is not an on/off switch - it just sends a
quick burst of power to the mb to tell it to start up. The test above should
pass in that case.  If the power switch is not accessible, you can short out
the pins on the motherboard where the power wires connect, but that might be
a bit tricky.

If you are not afraid of getting shocked badly, you can open the case on the
power supply (with the cord unplugged, of course!!!) and look to see if
anything looks burned or scorched.  The power supply on my friend's computer
had a badly scorched part.  Even if the power supply is unplugged, it is
still dangerous to open the case, because there are capacitors in there that
store a great deal of charge, so you must NOT touch anything inside!!!  BE
CAREFUL!!!

HTH,

Dean Kukral

CC: [log in to unmask]