From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 11:11:05 -0500
From: Bill Cohane :Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2000 1:10 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Home Network questions

> At 00:21 07/15/00, Peter Hogan wrote:
> >Bill wrote:
> >
> >>  If you want to continue using Win98SE's ICS, you'll have to
> >>  get a second NIC for the Win98SE computer.
> >
> >She's getting an INTERNAL modem (see her original post), so no
> >second NIC card needed.
>

> Good catch Peter. I missed that.
>
> So the least costly way to go would be for Susan to keep using
> ICS with almost no changes. (Simply using the DSL modem instead
> of the Dial up modem.) She should run a firewall however.
> The free Zone Alarm 2.1.25 firewall is pretty good. Download
> it from <http://www.zonealarm.com/download_ZA.htm>.
>
> I still like my Linksys router because I don't have to have the
> computer that's running ICS powered up all the time. And the
> security with the router really is good. My firewall used to log
> scores of probes a day before I got my router. I haven't had even
> one unsolicited attempt make it through the router in the three
> and a half months that I've had it. (There were two times my cable
> went down for a total of three hours and I had to connect by
> Dial Up. Zone Alarm did log a bunch of connection attempts at those
> times. But Dial Up bypasses the router so I don't hold this against
> the router.)
>
> Regards,
> Bill

Just a quick note on Zone Alarm for networks, it cannot be run on the
computer with the connection to the internet if it is running NAT software
like Sygate.  You can install it on the other computers in your network but
not on the gateway.  If your gateway computer is more then just a gateway
then it is still open to intrusion.  Zone Alarm does work with ICS that runs
on the same computer but you must lower the security level to medium.  It
will still provide application control to the computer but not protect the
network.  I tired Zone Alarm on my network running Sygate and was unable to
have any of the computers connect to the internet except the gateway
computer.

Mary Wolden

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions