From:
Michael Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 20:39:06 -0600
At 04:33 PM 12/16/98 -0500, Rick Glazier wrote:
>On Sat, 12 Dec 1998 18:02:04 -0600 Michael Gray <[log in to unmask]>
>writes:
>>I've been having problems with my system rebooting at random times
>>recently. I'm not really sure, but it seems to be connected to the
>>CD-RW drive I installed a few weeks ago. The unit is an Acer CRW-6206A
>>recently on sale at CompUSA.
>
>Did you resolve this?  I bought one of these a couple of days ago
>and had similar symptoms. I could actually CAUSE the reboots too.
>AND it gets MUCH worse if you add/remove drives, right?
>I went from "only Safemode", to back to normal...

Well, yes and no. The main problem with reboots seems to have prt\etty much
cleared up when I reseated the memory chip that I evidently knocked out of
it's clip when installing the new ribbon cable. There've been a couple of
crashes, but I don't think they're directly connected to the CD-RW.

>PS: There are LOTS of patches out for the bundled software,
>including a firmware flash update for the hardware. (12a to 13a)
>I believe my problem was Direct CD... The INSTANT I got
>rid of it, ALL my new (Grin) problems went away.  During troubleshooting
>I had 12 individual devices in Device Manager become a total
>of 29 "different" devices... Seems like I got two or three of
>a lot of stuff.  Win95a seems to like adding stuff...  (grin)

I've never used Win95, only Win98 and NT. True, the DirectCD is truly crap.
When I use it under NT, I *always* get a lot of error messages relating to
buffer overflow and wind up with a CD with an unrecognizable file system.
Win98 seems to work much better, but who wants to keep rebooting just to
burn another CD? I saw the firmware upgrade, but haven't flashed the CD
yet. Haven't tried the CD creator yet, but I expect it'd have much the same
results under NT. I've been trying to recover from a disk crash recently
(tried resizing a partition with Partition Magic and got a GPF which left
about 1/3 of the partition unreadable.) And no backup. Live and learn, I
guess.