From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:59:20 -0500
I doubt its the ram since the beeps changed.

The accepted procedure for undocumented POST errors is to strip the system
to the bare minimum and see if it will POST, then reintroduce one part at a
time until it fails, and so revealing the faulty part.

My guess is the video and ram are less likely to be the cause.  If the pc
has any adapter cards for modem, sound, etc, I would pull them.  If your
modem was plugged into the wall when the lightning struck, this might have
been the path into the pc.

IF it still fails at this point, the answer is either the motherboard or the
cpu.  Because of the age of your HP, you are best served by replacing the
case, motherboard, and cpu as a unit at the least, and reusing your HP disk,
cd, keyboard and mouse, or buying a new computer.
Tom Turak