From:
Dennis Saputelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:37:27 -0700
why do you disconnect before shutting down?
just curious

i leave mine connected and shutdown and reboot w/o issues, they're just
like an internal drive

i recectly got a Lacie USB 160G (actual drive inside is WD 7200 RPM)
the packaging and enclosure are fantastic, real metal extrusions and a
nice racking feature

came as FAT32
reformatted (before using) as NTFS using native WIN2K means
i don't see any problem reformatting in place as USB
(i was nervous about that too, i thought i might wind up with a door
stop)

works like a treat

i am beginning to think that my next box will go light on the internal
drive and just rely on ext USB's

they actually seem faster than writing between logical drive on the
internal drive!
i should do a test as it doesn't make sense but that is my perception

i am a little confused how the FAT32 LARGE drives work at all as they
are beyond the FAT32 limit, but they seem to work also

however i was advised by maxtor (i have some of theirs too, also nice)
that it would be best to reformat to NTFS if your OS is >= W2K

Dennis Saputelli

--
Dennis Saputelli

  ========= send only plain text please! - no HTML ==========
Integrated Controls, Inc.           www.integratedcontrolsinc.com
2851 21st Street                    tel: 415-647-0480
San Francisco, CA 94110             fax: 415-647-3003

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml