From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 08:40:12 -0500
By far the easiest way to do this is to hard code the cdrom drive letter
into the device manager settings for the cdrom.  Go to control panel,
system, device manager, and under the cdrom change the starting and ending
drive letters.  I make my cdrom R: so it never gets in the way of partitions
and network drives.

If you didn't plan ahead, and are adding a drive, this technique won't help
you much.  Run regedit and search for keys like this

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\InstallLocationsMRU

This is the most recently used values for installations that appear in the
drop down list when you are prompted for the source location.  I have tried
this before, I sort of remember I had to change more than one key to make it
permanent.
Tom Turak