From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:33:34 -0500
Ian,
Rather than direct you to the web for tech specs, let me give you my own
experience with banshees.  I had 2 different Voodoo Banshees.  Nice cards
with _hardware_ 3DFX support.  About 4 years ago, this enabled several games
that supported that mode of 3d effects to run on celerons I put on BX
chipset motherboards so I could overclock them a little, to about 500 mhz.
If the user does not need to specifically support a game that prefers
hardware 3dfx, then the existing video on the motherboard will certainly be
better and faster.  My cards gather dust now since the much faster cpus of
today can run the graphics routines in software, most of my old 3dfx games
can be configured for software emulation of the special 3d hardware and that
provides just as good a gaming experience.  I know of only one game of mine
that won't play on an nvidia based onboard graphics chip, for instance, as
it was sold to run only on the various versions of Voodoo cards and says so
on the box.
Tom Turak