From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 21:14:15 -0700
Phillip wrote:
>I am building a computer for working with pics, videos and sound(music
> I wish to keep it away from any internet corruptions...

There are several ways to run stealth on the net. The first thing is to
understand which factors present the most threat and shut the doors and lock
the windows if you will.

I'm sure you have given thought to a firewall. I use Zone Alarm Professional
and I haven't experienced any problems. Http://www.zonelabs.com All of the
vulnerable ports have been closed to hackers. I stay current with virus
definitions, critical updates, patches and security downloads from various
vendors.

Anther worthwhile site for setting your computer and checking for open ports
and such is Gibson Research located at, http://www.grc.com Look for The
Three Musketeers. <smile> Yes, I know it may sound silly but there are three
very good utilities that will close the door to intruders. I set up the
systems I build using these and a few others. Also give some thought to
Utilities such as Norton System Works. It too will help keep your system
running nicely.

Activating Windows XP and registering it via phone is a hassle. There have
been suggestions on how to download and burn the critical updates and
patches. The suggestions are good but they are labor intensive.

>Also unsure if I can download software upgrades to my on-line computer then
>transfer them by cd to my work computer.

As I stated, it is labor intensive and may not always work. This has been my
experience.

Computing should be enjoyable and productive. As an example, if I have to
download updates for my OS and installed programs, I want to do so with as
little frustration as possible. Building computers and seeing to it that the
systems are up to date when delivered used to be a hassle using floppies and
56K modems. It took me twice as long to accomplish the task. Now that I have
DSL and a wireless router with four switches, I have cut my time in half,
maintained my margin and eased the work load so I can do other things.

The suggestions given by the group are varied and sound. I would read what
is suggested and choose what will work for you to accomplish the task at
hand.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers