From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 1998 22:09:28 -0500
Don Cooley wrote:

> Sean wrote:
> >>I recently installed a Western 850MB hard drive on my PC.
> >> Windows 95 will only view or use 528M Bytes of the disc.
> >>I have been reading the information on the EIDEMAX the universal
> >>EIDE BIOS upgrade kit. It seems this unit would allow me to use
> >>all the 850MB.
> Brian replied:
> >if you have to fdisk the disk again (and you will) you will lose
> all
> >your data.  You could, of course, copy all the info to your 350MB
> >drive before reformatting the 850MB drive...
>
> Would not Partition Magic do the same thing without having to lose
> the data?
>
> Don

I have not used the current version of Partition Magic, but I would
think that it wouldn't do the same thing.  It would allow for the
resizing of the partition, but not recognizing what the BIOS can't.  I
would assume that a system BIOS upgrade, a hard drive BIOS solution like
the EIDEMAX or DTC 1181, or a software solution such as DiskManager
would be necessary to see the entire drive.  And this would require
repartitioning the drive and thus, losing the existing data.  Someone
PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.
---
Larry Atlow                          Internet:[log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Analyst                Phonenet: (601) 264-9639